Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Read a Book!!

I just read a mostly brilliant book by Jeff Chang entitled Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation. It came out a few years ago with a decent level of fanfare, but I only decided to read it quite recently. Luckily, after a camera retrieval mission brought me back to the Steppenwolf Theatre in Lincoln Park, I deigned to enter the nearby Borders Bookstore on North Ave in search of my book. It was at least the 8th bookstore at which I attempted to purchase the damn thing, and, wut-wut, they had a single copy on the shelf.

Yoink!

Although I'm a relatively recent convert (maybe within the last five or six years), I love hip-hop. I can, and do, enjoy old school to crunk, backpacker to gangster, indie to multiplat, and most everything in between. Unless it sucks. I do have a low tolerance for suck. And a high tolerance for this.

Anyway, this book does a fantastic job at chronicling hip-hop's true beginnings in Jamaica (really?) and Brooklyn, its troubled rise to mainstream acceptance, and subsequent exploitation. The music is obviously a big part of it, but I really consider this to be An Urban People's History of the United States. Chang goes relatively in-depth on governmental abandonment of the inner city, racism, gangs, drugs, and the three primary ingredients to the culture: music, art, and dance.

I've already been needlessly verbose. If any of the above interests you in the least, check out the book. Anyone who likes things that are unassailably badass should check out this video.


1 comment:

  1. You mean it's not just a bunch of rhymin, cursin, up to no good hooliganing?? I am very interested in reading this book then. Perhaps I will borrow it from you. You have given me deep and thorough analysis of this book over the last few weeks. I'm going to make it my bathroom book since I pretty much know the story by now. I'm going to go now and dissect myself with biased opinions.

    ReplyDelete